Meetings > 2008
Minutes of Twe12th Man Meeting : 8 May 2008
Venue: Ironopolis WMC, Bright Street, Middlesbrough
Meeting convened 19:45 hrs
J Donovan; D Dyson; A Glover; P Cronesberry; S Harland; P Taylor; M Johnston; T Johnston
C McPartland; J Umpleby (via email);
1. Minutes Arising, April Meeting.
Chairman's welcome to open the meeting; as usual emphasised "Code of Conduct" policy.
Brief resume of April topics:
Minutes of March Meeting
Merchandise - Presentation of samples & allocation of budget. Initial batch of badges delivered and distributed prior to Sunderland away game; generally well-received.
The 'Way Ahead' (continued Item #3)
Emails & Correspondence - no outstanding responses.
AOB - topics discussed included
" MFC & 12M 'Summit' meeting
" Boro Legends banner update;
" suggest ways to increase proactivity of fans.
2. Finance Report
Overview. - DD reported favourable balances on all Deposit and Current Accounts.
Payments for initial merchandise outlay arranged for SH.
DD still to confirm/agree 'historical finance status' with GT.
Report accepted as a true record.
Parachute Jump - Scheduled, 10 May 08. DD confirmed total sponsor monies received by the Group and/or via PayPal Account to date, and deposited in 12M fund. The 'Airborne Wheelies' event looks to have gained the 12M a considerable amount of goodwill through the media coverage so far (especially local radio and websites) and profile of 'who we are' has benefitted. Well done DD!! More on the event at June meeting.
3. Open discussion on Twe12th Man to date and ongoing strategy
The main plusses to date……:
the surfers, banners and large flags have now been accepted as part of the matchday 'experience' by both fans and MFC alike;
the Club's perception of the 12M is increased credibility of a "Group who can deliver" projects (NB);
a mutual respect and stronger communication has been fostered with MFC;
the use of matchday programme space and Stadium scoreboard have proved useful information outlets and have been offered to 12M to use for the foreseeable future.
…..and minuses to date:
Fans are still inhibited about supporting the 12M idea, mainly due to the "congenitally cynical" (MJ) tendency of Teessiders(?) to be against anything seemingly telling them 'what to do'….
Insufficient input of ideas from fans.
PC advised group of an informal chat with Neil Bausor, 2 May; NB promised to arrange 12M get together with GS & DA asap. To be prepared for this, the group should formulate an Agenda to be taken to the meeting. The following topics were proposed and subsequently agreed for discussion;
- a presentation of visual ideas from other Clubs, indicating that precedents have been set (PT/SH)
- clarification on safety issues regarding flags, etc brought to the RS i.e.: what is allowed, especially on 'non-flag days' (PT)
- anchor points at rear of stands for more permanent display of banners (JD/JU email)
- relaxation of current over-zealous stewarding of home fans standing, when no restrictions appear to be enforced on away fans, giving rise to claims of double standards (JD)
- introduction of confetti cannons, drums, (DD/MJ)
- possible relocation of seats in Stadium that are currently 'active' to promote singing sections (AG/JD)
- could Cup games be made unreserved seating to allow like minded people to congregate, again to further the singing sections as was trialed previously. (AG)
- explain Club policy re: location of Junior, Student and U-21's ST holders (MJ)
- could the sale of away tickets be made as to be less detrimental to the 'appearance' of the attendance in relation to that shown by TV coverage i.e.: when away crowd small, sell lower tier and block behind S. Stand goal, thereby giving the impression of less empty seats, and consequently invite less bad press? (PC)
- When possible, would Gareth take the opportunity to thank the fans (as twelfth men?) in media interviews; this would be a fillip to the fans, make them feel valued, and hopefully bond more with the Club (PC)
- ways for the Stadium Announcer to generate a 'feel good' atmosphere (JD)
4. Emails, Correspondence
Suggestions for 12M to undertake in the close season in preparation for next year, and liaison/link with BoroChants site for new songs/chants (JU email)
Seek business sponsorship of Twe12th Man activity (JU email)
Email from Boro fans group in Azerbaijan replied to (DD)
No further outstanding responses due.
" To avoid conflict within the group, agreement was made that any decisions made by the group at the meetings should be honoured and accepted.
" JU email re: songs/chants triggered discussion on how to promote them… produce leaflets or song sheets with lyrics? Perhaps post on YouTube to get them aired with links via message boards?
" Group felt we needed our own generic song for RS on the lines of, say, Liverpool, W Ham, Sheffield U and so on.
" Suggestions favoured included 'We Shall Overcome' (JD); 'Down By The Riverside' (PC); and Steel River(AG)
" PC/DD expressed the need to have a regular income stream; invited suggestions for fundraising to be brought to next meeting.
Meeting concluded @ 22:00 hrs
Next Meeting scheduled for Thursday 12 June 2008