Meetings > 2007
Meeting Number 8 - Monday 8th January 07
Date: Monday 8 January 2007
Venue: The Cleveland Jubilee, Yarm
1. The meeting was opened by Geoff Thomas, who thanked the 20 people who attended though it was felt the turnout was a little disappointing in view of the advertising of the meeting. The change of venue from Dr Browns stemmed from Yarm Reds attendance and the suggestion to take the meetings 'on the road'.
2. Current projects: The Gibson Banner unveiled at the Sheffield United game on New Years Day was reviewed and deemed a success, this was assisted by an official Twe12th Man Press Release and club PR with a pre-match slot on Century radio. It was mentioned that Look North had also featured the banner during it's sports round up following the game, although no-one present could confirm this was the case. The Twe12th Man were very encouraged by the way the launch was received in Block 40 of the East Stand and a result, the group hope the banner will prove to be a regular pre-match at The Riverside.
3. Discussions held during the meeting:
Gibson Banner - this was a success as already mentioned, and it was proposed that the Gibson Banner becomes a permanent fixture at the Riverside, and possibly staying in the East Stand. However volunteers are required to assist with the roll out at every match and this would be advertised as soon as the club agreed to our proposal.
Fund Raising - it was proposed that a pool night is to be held although this was parked whilst the discussion centered around a 'Twe12th Man Race Night'. Paddy from the MFC Disabled Supporters Club suggested this could be held at Thornaby National Reserve Club on a Wednesday or Thursday night sometime mid to late February. A decision was made that either the 15th or 22nd February would be dates for proposal. Paddy agreed to speak to the Club about it being held on either of those dates.
John Donavon also agreed to speak to Yvonne Ferguson (MFC) about organising the race night as she had arranged one in the past.
Jeff Winter was suggested as MC for the evening after the success of the Twe12th Man Big Boro Quiz Night.
Jeff from the Jubilee had also been involved in previous Race Night events and was willing to offer his advice.
John D and Geoff T agreed to meet with Jeff from the Jubilee once a date had been fixed to discuss further.
All unofficial support involvement - Yarm Reds kindly joined the Twe12th Man meeting to offer support and suggestions. It was emphasised once again that the Twe12th Man is a non membership organisation open to any individual or club who wishes to get involved.
Hull replay singing section - Geoff T will propose to Dave Allan from MFC that the signing sections for the FA Cup Replay be extended to the North and East Stands. Once that has been decided, advertising will commence. Yarm Reds kindly offered their assistance for the East Stand proposal. The idea being that the atmosphere generated would benefit the team more were it not solely concentrated in the North stand. The Twe12th Man are also keen to recreate the atmosphere evident during Bruce Rioch's reign when Ayresome enjoyed verbal interaction between the Holgate and the Clive Road South Stand Upper. The Singing Section proposal will also include bringing flags and scarves to the designated block(s) with the view to generating a visual impact. The Twe12th Man would also ask the club for a small number of tickets to be made available to core personnel in the centre of the singing Section where to act as 'plants' to initiate singing and scarf activity.
Creating an atmosphere - discussions were held around creating an intimidating atmosphere at the Riverside, as in the days of Ayresome Park. This also included standing issues, and how it is difficult now that all seater stadiums are in place. Obviously everyone understands the safety implications behind standing at stadiums, and under no circumstances would anyone want to 'break the rules'.
Songs/Chants - new songs and chants are required for the Riverside to 'liven things up'. A band was suggested or even just a drummer as a trial, again Geoff T would suggest this to MFC for permission. The Pig Bag anthem was also discussed and it seems there is a 50/50 split on it, although the club are not likely to change it as the 'run out' theme tune, it was suggested that the team choose a song to be played when a goal is scored. It was also suggested that the players forenames could be called out by the Stadium Announcer and the surname by the supporters (as prevelant in the Bundesliga).
Mail Shot - suggestions were made about contacting the corporate hospitality company's for their support, either financially or for services and prize donations. John D and Geoff T will discuss the letter further.
Other points noted:
Twe12th Man would not be a membership based club.
The patent for the Twe12th Man logo needs registering.
A bank account needs to be created for the funds that are raised.
Quiz night in April.
At the close of the meeting Geoff T thanked Yarm Reds for their continued support and contribution and to Jeff for allowing the meeting to be held at The Golden Jubilee.
1pm Saturday February 3rd, The Navigation (Prior to Boro V Arsenal at 5.15pm )